On Saturday, October 9, 2004, The University of Iowa and the University of Iowa Alumni Association hosted a celebration to honor Prof. James Van Allen and his many accomplishments, and in recognition of his 90th birthday. Activities included an invited lecture series, a public lecture followed by a cake and punch reception, and an evening banquet.
"James Van Allen: From Explorer 1 to The Edge of Interstellar Space"
Presented by speaker: Edward C. Stone
Oct. 9, 2004, 4:00 p.m., Macbride Auditorium, U. of Iowa campus
* Prof. Stone is a David Morrisroe Professor of Physics at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech), former Director of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (1991-2001).
Summaries and Lectures:
- "James Van Allen, From High School to the Beginning of the Space Era: A Biographical Sketch" by George Ludwig
- "The First Explorer Satellites" by George Ludwig (Images)
- "Discovery of the Van Allen Radiation Belts" by Carl McIlwain
(Images Part 1) (Images Part 2) (Images Part 3)
- "Jupiter's Radiation Belt and Pioneer 10 and 11" by Michelle Thomsen
- "Planetary Magnetospheres: Van Allen Radiation Belts of the Solar System Planets" by Stamatios M. Krimigis
Schedule of Events
Schedule of Events
Friday, October 8, 2004
6:00 - 8:00 p.m. Early registration and welcome reception, Sheraton Iowa City, Dubuque Street (photos)
(light hors d’oeuvres and cash bar)
Saturday, October 9, 2004
8:15 a.m. Registration
9:00 a.m. Opening remarks
9:15 a.m. Building the Early Explorer Instruments George Ludwig
10:00 a.m. Discovery of the Van Allen Radiation Belts Carl McIlwain
10:45 a.m. Break
11:15 a.m. Jupiter’s Radiation Belt and Pioneer 10 and 11 Michelle Thomsen
12:00 p.m. Lunch break (individual choice)
1:45 p.m. Planetary Magnetospheres: Van Allen Belts of the Solar System Planets Tom Krimigis
2:30 p.m. Cosmic Rays and the Heliosphere Frank McDonald
4:00 p.m. Public Lecture, Macbride Hall Auditorium Ed Stone
James Van Allen: From Explorer 1 to The Edge of Interstellar Space (photos)
6:30 p.m. Cash bar, Richey Ballroom, Iowa Memorial Union
7:00 p.m. Banquet, Richey Ballroom, Iowa Memorial Union
8:00 p.m. Banquet Speaker Dan Baker (photos)
Sunday, October 10, 2004
Cash breakfast buffet at the Sheraton Iowa City
Organizing committee: Dan Baker, Don Gurnett, George Ludwig, Frank McDonald, Carl McIlwain, Norman Ness, Ed Smith, Michelle Thomsen.
Local organizers: Tom Boggess, Don Gurnett, Craig Kletzing, Kathy Kurth, Susan Griffith/UIAA, Jane Kirsch/UIAA.
Local assistants: Jon Boller, Aaron Breneman, Larry Detweiler, Mike Fountain, George Hospodarsky, Jean Hospodarsky, Bill Kurth, Meesha Legg, Dale Stille.
Videos of the Van Allen Day lectures were recorded by U. of Iowa Video Center and U. of Iowa TV, which then broadcast the recorded lectures during the months of November and December 2004. Occasional replays of the lectures occasionally are re-broadcast on UITV.